Monday, January 13, 2014

Everything but the kitchen sink (and a call to action)

Let's face it. Everyone's a "marketer." I'm sure you've heard this before. And like typical fashion for many supposed "marketers," their formula for content success is excess (can you say that ten times?).

I happen to be a Star One Credit Union member (they have great mortgage rates) and noticed they included an insert in one of my monthly statements.

Statement Insert* Analysis - It's so copy heavy that Star One should have included the kitchen sink. And where's the call to action?

Excessive copy. Missing call to action.

Both misses, but the biggest miss of all? Star One took the time to produce and print a statement insert! I've tracked open and read rates on statement inserts and the results have always been short of abysmal and pathetic (true, I noticed it and read it, but I don't count).

Definitely not worth the paper it's printed on. Sending a smoke signal will pull a better response. Do make sure you send out clean smoke, however. This guarantees a low carbon footprint, plus higher click-through and read rates.

I do want to be glass half full. If you have metrics that shed better light on statement insert results, do share. 


*Also known as a buck slip; but there's something about those words that rub me the wrong way, so I don't like to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment